Tuesday, August 24, 2010

No. 8

Me & Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin (1970) Video - Please excuse my wedding/honeymoon/moving/starting-a-new-job absence. My original plan was to finish up the top 100 on my wedding, August 1st. Obviously, that didn't take place. Hopefully, my new life status will lend a new, more mature slant to the blog.

The second posthumous no. 1 of all-time (Otis Redding's Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay), was recorded, although not originally, by Janis days before her death. If you listen closely, the track has a first-cut feel to it. This one's all about the story it tells:

"Busted flat in Baton Rouge, headed for the trains, feelin' nearly faded as my jeans. Bobby thumbed a diesel down just before it rained, took us all the way to New Orleans. Took my harpoon out of my dirty red bandana and was blowin' sad while Bobby sang the blues, with them windshield wipers slappin time and Bobby clappin' hands we finally sang up every song that driver knew.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose, and nothin' ain't worth nothin' if it ain't free. Feelin' good was easy, lord, when Bobby sang the blues, and buddy, that was good enough for me, good enough for me and my Bobby McGee.

From the coalmines of Kentucky to the California sun, Bobby shared the secrets of my soul, through all kinds of weather through everything that we done, yeah Bobby baby kept me from the cold. One day up near Salinas, Lord, I let him slip away. He's looking for that love and I hope he finds it, but I'd trade all my tomorrows for a single yesterday to be holding Bobby's body next to mine.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose, and nothin' ain't worth nothin' if it ain't free. Feelin' good was easy, lord, when Bobby sang the blues, and buddy, that was good enough for me, good enough for me and my Bobby McGee."

Epitaph.

No comments:

Post a Comment