Thursday, July 1, 2010

No. 34

Angie - Rolling Stones (1973) Video - In the fall of 2002, I was a sophomore in college with a Mustang GT and a growing rock 'n roll habit. I had just, on faith, purchased Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon at Best Buy, having no idea what I would find (no track names on the album cover). Having been handsomely rewarded with what is probably my No. 1 album of all-time, I sought to discover more of this drug called "classic rock". I knew the Stones were just a step behind the Beatles, but the only songs of theirs I knew were Satisfaction and Paint It Black. I made a life-changing trip to the Lincoln Public Library where I picked up some drivel, the Doors' Greatest Hits and Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks. Both albums would profoundly impact my musical choices to this day.

Whereas the Beatles had offered me the bubblegum antics of She Loves You Yeah Yeah Yeah, the Stones gave me hard-hitting Let's Spend the Night Together and Mother's Little Helper. Angie wasn't on Hot Rocks, but it was on their subsequent Greatest Hits album, Jump Back.

No comments:

Post a Comment