Monday, May 24, 2010

No. 87

We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions - Queen (1977) Video - From the 2nd I heard the entire version (Mighty Ducks closing credits) rather than just the chant from nighttime San Antonio Spurs broadcasts that somehow found their way to Eureka, Kansas, I loved this song. I didn't know Freddy Mercury was incredibly gay, I didn't even know what gay was. I just knew that this song rocked.

It served as the anthem for the 1994 World Cup and charted in France in 1998 when they won the World Cup, topping out at #10. Some other things you didn't know - Freddy Mercury was born in Zanzibar, went to school in India, and only acknowledged he had AIDS the day before his death. Even though you know the song, check out the video to see Borat playing the piano in awesome shorts.

2 comments:

  1. Love that this song made your list! Queen is very near and dear to my heart...can't listen to any of their songs without smiling and feeling a little better about life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost think Queen is too well known for this song at the expense of people studying their entire catalogue, much like Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven. It's a great song, maybe their greatest, but don't stop there.

    ReplyDelete