Thursday, May 20, 2010

No. 94

The Distance - Cake (1996) Video - The eponymous single off their second album, Comfort Eagle, "The Distance" dominated alternative radio in 1996. It was written by guitarist Greg Brown, who left the group in 1998. John McCrea's dry, talk-sing style makes it sound as though he's mocking the previous artists such as their covers of Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" and Black Sabbath's "War Pigs." I distinctly remember listening to the alternative station late at night so low that my parents couldn't hear it when "The Distance" came on. I remember thinking, this is something very different from anything I've heard before. I think I like this. And I always have.

The Sacramento-based group has since left 2 labels and formed their own, building a studio powered solely by solar panels, so that their next album, which coincidentally has been delayed 2 years, will be exclusively recorded with solar energy.

2 comments:

  1. 1) Love what you're doing on this blog. You're not typing in a vacuum--I've got you on Google Reader, and I'm enjoying the heck out of this.

    2) Rumors are this song has to do with a certain bit of... self-pleasure. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Much appreciated. I've intended to put together this list for about 5 years. It took having a few months away from a cubicle for it to happen.

    2) Hmmm....I love songs with secret, dirty meanings, but the more I read about song origins, the more I think most of them are lyrics that fit together and really mean very little. I could buy it, I guess, but I don't think Cake is that type of group. Do you mean secret meaning like Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun?

    ReplyDelete