Sunday, May 23, 2010

No. 89

All Right Now - Free (1970) Video - While a lot of the songs on my list have many possible interpretations, multiple layers, and social symbolism, Free's All Right Now is a song about hooking up and ascertaining the other's intentions. That's it and that's all. Check out both verses:

"There she stood in the street, smiling from her head to her feet. I said, hey, what is this? Now baby, maybe she's in need of a kiss. I said, hey what's your name baby? Maybe we can see things the same. Now don't you wait or hesitate, let's move before they raise the parking rent.

I took her home to my place, watching every move on her face. She said, Look, what's your game baby, are you trying to put me in shame? I said, slow, don't go so fast. Don't you think that love can last? She said, love, Lord above, now you're trying to trick me in love?"

Lead singer Paul Rodgers' penned the lyrics and would go on to do the same for his next group's (Bad Company) Feel Like Makin' Love, where you can see a pattern emerging. Heavy riff, hookin' up. He would later step in to lead Queen after the death of Freddy Mercury. This won't make many Rolling Stones or VH1 most influential lists, but I like it, a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment