Sunday, May 23, 2010

No. 88

Hotel California - The Eagles (1977) Video - The defining Eagles single and one of the best known rock songs of all-time probably would be in my top ten favorite songs had I not played it so much that I'm actually tired of it. I'm going to trust that anyone reading a music blog has heard the song or is a martian wondering what music is and skip the musical review. It's awe-inspiring to say the least. Because it got play on country stations, I got to listen to it at a much earlier age than most other songs on the list.

There are many marijuana-fueled blogs about the true meaning of the song, most of which involve some sort of tie-in with satanic rituals or cults. In my opinion, these are 100% false, with the exception of the very visible satanistic tenets of Hollywood and the music business (I'm not a preacher, I'm just sayin'). Essentially, the Eagles had just arrived in Southern California which seemed very appealing at first, seductive even, and they felt themselves getting trapped into a life that didn't produce happiness, but looked attractive on the surface. That's the whole song right there. Although I do drive by a Hotel California every day in Oakland that was owned by the church of Satan with which Don Henley was affiliated.............

No comments:

Post a Comment