Tuesday, June 15, 2010

No. 47

Blueberry Hill - Fats Domino (1956) Video - I owe my love for this song entirely to my dad. If not for him I likely would never have known anything of Fats Domino, the fun-spirited, piano-playing legend. You can't help but like Fats because he never does anything but sing and smile.

This quest to document my top 100 songs has helped me uncover a lot of things about music. To give you an idea how different the music industry was in 1940 (when the song was written), here's an example. Blueberry Hill was written in 1940 and published in a songbook, that's how the public was exposed to this classic. It was then recorded by 6 different artists in 1940 alone. Fats Domino, who is best known for the song, didn't record it for another 16 years, a year before Elvis also recorded it.

"I found my freedom on Blueberry Hill on Blueberry Hill when I found you. The moon stood still on Blueberry Hill and lingered until my dreams came true.

The wind in the willow played love's sweet melody, but all of the vows we made were never to be. Though we're apart, you're part of me still for you were my thrill on Blueberry Hill."

No comments:

Post a Comment