Tuesday, June 1, 2010

No. 69

Lucille - Kenny Rogers (1977) Video - Ray Charles once said that the thing he loved about country music was the stories. Although this tune hadn't come out yet, it's precisely the type of song he envisioned. 3 characters - all with sympathetic and negative characteristics, it's a rich story:

"In a bar in Toledo, across from the depot, on a barstool she took off her ring. I thought I'd get closer so I walked on over. I sat down and asked her name. When the drinks finally hit her, she said, I'm no quitter, but I finally quit living on dreams. I'm hungry for laughter, here ever after, I'm after whatever the other life brings.

In the mirror I saw him and I closely watched him. I thought how he looked out of place. He came to the woman who sat there beside me. He had a strange look on his face. The big hands were calloused, he looked like a mountain, for a minute I thought he was dead, but he started shaking, his big heart was breaking, he turned to the woman and said,

You picked a fine time to leave, Lucille, with four hungry children and a crop in the field. I've had some bad times, lived through some sad times, but this time the hurting won't heal, you picked a fine time to leave me Lucille.

After he left us, I ordered more whisky, I thought how she made him look small. From the lights of the barroom to the rented hotel room, we walked without talking at all. She was a beauty, but when she came to me, she must have thought I'd lost my mind. I couldn't hold her, for the words that he told her kept coming back time after time.

You picked a fine time to leave, Lucille, with four hungry children and a crop in the field. I've had some bad times, lived through some sad times, but this time the hurting won't heal, you picked a fine time to leave me Lucille."

No comments:

Post a Comment